A Little Bit About Me

November 7, 2015


Yes, it was my birthday, and I turned 21 on October 2nd! Have some of that month old cake ;D

I've never been big on birthdays, and I've never even mentioned it here on the blog, but with the 21st, I felt like it called for some kind of acknowledgement.

21 is supposed to be this big milestone in people's lives, mostly because of the legal drinking age thing, I guess? I don't drink, though, and the only other thing that's of significance is that I can now marry legally (the legal age for marriage in India is 21). Yeah, no plans of doing that anytime soon, so I figured I'd do something noteworthy and share some unknown facts about my interesting life (question is, if my life were really interesting, would this be the noteworthy thing I do on my 21st?)

TEN FACTS ABOUT MY BOOKISH LIFE

1. The first book I ever read was a children's dictionary when I was two and a half.
2. When we had 'reading periods' in grade school, I'd be the only one to finish the little Ladybird books in ten minutes, and go ask for another, and another, and another.
3. For a long time I thought the Enid Blyton stories were like folk tales with no known author, because I never figured out that the signature on top of the book was the author's name. For an even longer time, I was under the impression that Enid Blyton was a man. *this is very humiliating*
4. When I was 6, my mum gave us her hand me down copy of Pride and Prejudice, which had no cover and was falling apart. It took me a while to read it, but Austen has been a favourite ever since.
5. By the time I was in 3rd grade, I finished reading all the Famous Five books and moved on to Hardy Boys. I could never finish the Secret Seven though, because they seemed way too juvenile to me.
6. When I was about 7, the first Harry Potter movie came out, and my sister and I went to our friend's place to watch it together. While walking back home after the movie, it started raining, and I caught a fever, which soon developed into pneumonia. I hated Harry Potter for a long time after that. In 2005, when Half Blood Prince was published, my aunt gifted the book to us and raved about it. So that was the first Harry Potter book I read. Obviously, I fell in love. 'Nuff said.
7. All through high school, I read approx 3 books a day. Two during school hours (yeah I was a rebel) and one which I checked out to read at home.
8. The first young adult book I read was This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I read it when I was in 8th grade, and then gobbled up lot more of her books, before I decided that I'd 'outgrown' young adult books (oh, my young foolish self).
9. After exhausting all the books in the school library, I got into an intense classics binge. It was all I would read. Gutenberg was my haven then, and I discovered some of my favourite authors in those years. L M Montgomery and Baroness Orczy are still my all time favourites.
10. I got reintroduced to the young adult genre when I was 17, in college, by this great senior who is a kindred soul. She is also the one who introduced me to book reviewing, and later, book blogging.

FIVE FACTS ABOUT ME

1. My first ever blog post was basically just an endless stream of consciousness about a visit to the street market. I was and still am pretty proud of it.
2. I love the smell of petrol, and cleaning detergents.
3. I am borderline OCPD, and have an intense need to have things symmetrical and arranged in an orderly manner. But I can also be a slob sometimes.
4. Competition makes me thrive, and contrary to research, there's nothing I hate worse than third place.
5. Besides reading, I also dabble in writing poetry, designing stuff and playing around in Photoshop, and I have a fierce love for typography.

SIX WAYS IN WHICH THIS YEAR HAS CHANGED ME

1. I've become more comfortable in my own company in public. I still experience some anxiety in certain social situations, but I've come a long way from where I was.
2. I've learnt to handle failure a little better, which...
3. ... has also made me take things one day at a time. I've figured that I'd keep doing what I loved doing, and if takes me somewhere, well and good. If not, that's fine too.
4. I've learnt to say no. This is a major thing for me, because in the first half of this year, I got majorly stressed out simply because I wasn't able to say no to people.
5. Quasi independence suits me very well. Now that I'm living away from home most days of the week, I get the little bit of space that I felt I needed, but I also get to come home every time it gets too lonely.
6. I've always always always wanted to learn French, and finally started this year! It definitely helps that I live in a place that used to be a French colony :D

And there you go. 21 one facts about me. One for every year I've been on this planet. I sincerely hope I didn't bore you ;)

Tell me something about you in the comments! I'd love to hear :)