Top Ten Tuesday: Notable Discoveries

December 17, 2013


According to the good people at The Broke and The Bookish, I'm to pick ten new-to-me awesome authors that I found this year. Seriously, people? Ten? Just TEN? Okay, I'm not exaggerating, but I read a ton of new authors this years, and most of them were brilliant, so how am I supposed to pick and choose just ten? You're just being cruel now -_-

Reading wise (as opposed to blogging-wise, or life-wise, get it?), 2013 has been a great year for me. I really got into reading this year after a few blah-ish years, and I crossed my Goodreads reading goal thrice, I simply gave up on raising it, and went along with the flow, reading whatever I felt like, and whenever. I kind f feel like this was my Year of Enlightenment, because I not only started book blogging (for real) this year, but I also learnt and found out awesome books and bookish stuff, more than I've ever done in any other year.
Speaking of, I'm SO excited about taking Jamie's End of Year Survey! I'm been looking forward to it all year, seeing everybody talking about it everywhere, and now I can finally take it myself! Yay!

Okay, now, with great difficulty, I've managed to reduce the list to eleven. Check out the wonderful authors I met this year, without whom this world would be a dull place to live in. Below the authors are given the book through which I first read their words.

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013

I CANNOT SPEAK ABOUT THESE TWO PEOPLE AND THEIR BOOK WITHOUT FREAKING OUT! HENCE THE ALL CAPS (plus, I'm holding the Shift key for this, which is the only way that counts when you say you're 'freaking out'). I JUST... no words, people. No words. THEY GIVE ME THE FEELS (and have the power to make me incoherent). That's it. READ THEM (their book, that is)! 'Nuff said.

This is a rare occurrence, so it had to be chronicled here. There aren't very many Indian authors that I enjoy reading. I dont know if it's just my problem, but I just cant connect to them. I dont like the storylines, the language, the characters. You name it, and chances are, I most probably dont like it. I have my reasons for it, though, but that's a discussion for another day. But there are some Indian authors that I really like, and Sid Bahri is another rare gem in the proverbial haystack that I found this year.

The Summer I Became A Nerd makes for a fun summer read, when you're just lazing around, and want something light and sweet. 

I doubt there're going to be many people who dont have Rainbow Rowell on their list. Honestly, she's probably my greatest find this year, and I'm so grateful to her for her books and her flawed characters that are so much more real than anyone else's 'flawed' characters. 

I love love love Lauren Oliver's prose, you guys. That's half the reason I read her books! But it's only the Delirium trilogy that I've read, unfortunately. I'm planing to remedy that, and read Before I Fall, which I've heard is great, and Panic, which I'm super excited for, next year.

Hands down one of the best books I read this year. It had that wholesome feel, you know. A complex plot, very well fleshed out characters, beautiful prose. Erin Morgenstern is the complete package.

I had never been very interested in the Dystopian genre earlier. I saw Divergent on an umpteen number of lists on Goodreads, but I never gave it a try, because I can sometimes be an idiot who doesn't like to move beyond her comfort zone. But Pooja gave my the book and told me I had to read it, and I loved it! So yay!

This series is one of the best ever! Rossi's got a kick-ass heroine, knows how not to write a love triangle, and a futuristic world that rocks to boot. 

Lol there certainly seem to be a lot of dystopian/futuristic books out here, doesn't it? Well, it's not very surprising, considering the number of great dystopian books out there, mixed in with the not-so-good ones. Melissa West's work, though, is one of the former, and love her books! She's a master at cliffhangers, so you can imagine why I'm waiting for the third book in the series with bated breath.

JOHN GREEEENN!!! Yep, I read my first Green book this year, and this man? He. Is. Perfect. I'm a nerd myself, so to read his books is sheer delight. Though he made me sob uncontrollably for The Fault in Our Stars. But I like books that make me very, so we're cool.

Katja Millay is the equivalent of Colleen Hoover for this year. Both are surprise finds, because I simply read the blurb and went in, without reading any reviews, and both of them write stories that squeeze your heart. I really loved The Sea of Tranquility, how the relationship between Nastya and Josh brewed slowly but was so very potent. She's my kind of writer: intense.

So there you go! Those are my 11 Discoveries. Noe tell me... do we have any in common? What do you think of these authors? Are there any interesting authors on your list that you think I should try? Sound off in the comments!