Top Ten Tuesday: The Best of The Best

December 31, 2013


And so we come to the end of 2013. It's been a year of ups, a year of downs, a year of great happiness, a year of little sorrow, a year of making friends, a year of being lonely, I had everything I could possibly wish for, and well yeah, that's about it. Evidently, a Charles Dickens I do not make.

Anyway, as you've probably guessed, today we're picking the best of the books we read in 2013. And let me tell you, it was REALLY hard picking the best of the lot when so many of them were so good this year! Nevertheless, I succeeded. And since I've been talking your ear off about this books all year in the lists on newly discovered authors, unusual character names (because some of these books do), books I want more of, best books at the half year mark, books I was forced to read, and here, where I kind of cheated. I'm not going to do that here too. So I'm simply listing them.

Top Ten Books I Read in 2013

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow," he said.
I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.
Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.
But she's here, she's mine. I'm hers.
You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.
“I wished my mother was here tonight, which is stupid, because it’s an impossible wish.” He shrugs and turns to me, drowning the smile that cracks me every time.
“It’s not stupid to want to see her again.”
“It wasn’t so much that I wanted to see her again,” he says, looking at me with the depth of more than seventeen years in his eyes. “I wanted her to see you.”
Into The Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
(review to come soon. And look out for a surprise too!)
"I see you in everything. There isn't a word for you that means enough, because you're everything to me."
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.
Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern | my review
Secrets have power. And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secrets, real secrets, important ones, with even one other person, will change them. Writing them down is worse, because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours.

Honourable Mentions
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

What's on your top ten list today? Find any of them here? Oh, and do you have any awesome recs for me from your list? Because I'm always in the lookout for great new books to read!