Top Ten Tuesday: Recommendations for the Reluctant Classics Reader

November 19, 2013


So... today's topic is a pretty interesting one. Confession: I've been saving up for this topic for sometime now. I had no idea when I'd get the opportunity to use this list, but I made it up anyways, thinking that if not for TTT, I'd post it on my own. But yay! Now I get to share it with all of you! 

I know a lot of readers have problems with classics. Maybe it's because of the way they were taught in school, maybe it's because of a preconceived notion that they're boring, or maybe they tried reading them and really did find them boring. Well, whatever the reason, the fact remains that a lot of people are reluctant readers of literary classics. 

Well, here I am! I've come to rescue you from the clutches of the Classics Aversion Syndrome. I'm sure most (if not all) of you love YA books? And why is that? Aside from the excellent writing and stories we find in them, a main cause is the fact that we can relate to the characters, right? Because we're young adults ourselves, or because we've all been through that part of life, and loved it? 

So, for your reading pleasure, here is a list of classics which will appeal to the quintessential lover of YA. They either have young adult characters or they're just ones that I think a YA book lover will find enjoyable!

Top Ten Classics for the Reluctant Reader of Classics (but lover of YA)


“Isn't it better to have your heart broken than to have it wither up? Before it could be broken it must have felt something splendid. That would be worth the pain.”


“There are two things that men should never weary of, goodness and humility; we get none too much of them in this rough world among cold, proud people.”


“She said nothing, and Sir Andrew, too, was silent, yet those two young people understood one another, as young people have a way of doing all the world over, and have done since the world began.”


"No great experience comes or goes easily, and this is the greatest we can know, I believe, except death."


“You know, Daddy, I think that the most necessary quality for any person to have is imagination. It makes people able to put themselves in other people's places. It makes them kind and sympathetic and understanding.” 

“The woods are never solitary--they are full of whispering, beckoning, friendly life. But the sea is a mighty soul, forever moaning of some great, unshareable sorrow, which shuts it up into itself for all eternity.” 

"You'll never write anything that really satisfies you though it may satisfy other people. As for love stories, you cant write them because you can feel them. Dont try to write anything you cant feel - it will be a failure - 'echoes worth nothing'."

“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

“I mean to do something grand. I don't know what, yet; but when I'm grown up I shall find out."

"There is no pleasure in life like the joy of achievement."

Honorable Mention



What do you think of these recs? Do you have any to add for the reluctant classics reader? And if you are one, would you try out any of these books? Sound off in the comments!

18 comments :

  1. This is such a fantastic idea! And somehow despite being a general lover of classics once upon a time..I've only two of these! (Well, four including the honorable mentions). I've been meaning to read Blue Castle and the Scarlet Pimpernel (they're towards the top of my 1000 book long TBR anyway), but I hadn't even heard of some of the others (Jane of Lantern Hill? Kilmeny of the Orchard? HOW DO I NOT KNOW WHAT THESE ARE.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know all too well about mile long TBR lists. I somehow never see the end of mine :D

      Ooh, you should TOTALLY read those two! They're the best from the list above! You'll love them!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant topic choice. There are a few LM Montgomery's there that I haven't read - might have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yep, Montgomery is one of my absolute favourite authors, plus, her books are perfect for those wary of classics because her writing style is very similar to those in contemporary books.

      Delete
  3. Actually, I might add Turn of the Screw and Daisy Miller, both by Henry James to your list! Both quite short but gripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! They're both great books! I read The Turn of The Screw when I was really small, and omg, I was SO scared!

      Delete
  4. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a reluctant classics girl! Buuut I've actually read a couple on your list so wooo. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then these books are for you! Check them out and tell me what you think! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, now that I think of it I am a reluctant classics reader. I will definitely keep some of these in mind. Great list Fahima!
    here's our TTT

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hope you like them, Janhvi! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird is such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I didn't love it much the first time I read it, but then it grew on me, I guess.

      Delete
  7. Not really a classic kinda reader but cool list

    Our TTT

    Doris @ OABR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol well, then, this list is meant exactly for reader like yourself! Try it out and see if you like it! :)

      Delete
  8. ooh yes I do need to read more classics esp ANNE OF GREEN GABLES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's neat seeing how creative and varied people got with these lists. Enjoyed this one too, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.