Before I Became A Book Blogger: Vain & Slammed

November 26, 2013

before i became a book blogger
Inspired by Before I Blogged I Read by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner
To know more about Before I Became A Book Blogger and how it differs from my reviews, go here!

Yes, this feature is still alive and I haven't forgotten about its existence. I expected to do this feature atleast once a month, but what do you know, like doesn't always stick to plans! Owing to my really hectic college schedule, among reading and other stuff, I couldn't really spend time on this. But its back on, and to make up for the long hiatus, here are TWO awesome books for y'all! Enjoy!

Title: Vain (The Seven Deadly #1)
Author: Fisher Amelie
Publication date: December 24, 2012
Publisher: Self Published 
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 
Amazon Goodreads
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
I adore this book, and I doubt I'll ever get tired of re reading it.

Like most of the books that end up being my favourites, Vain is also character driven. Sophie Price is the girl everyone's hates, but also the one all the  and the romance does not play a major role in the story, though it does play a large one.

With 'New Adult' being the new kid on the genres block, a lot of people seem to think it's basically just young adult books with mature physical relationships in them. A lot of authors seem to think that way too. Not that I'm saying that's wrong, but I think New Adult books should also be about what it is to grow up and find your place in the world. It can also be about self discovery and learning to accept yourself as the person you are. Coping with what it really is to be an adult in the big bad world, or something like that.

Vain embodies all that I think a New Adult book should be (Fangirl also holds that distinction, in my book). It's gritty, often rude and offensive (the protagonist, that is), but also sweet, sad, and a gem among mere stones.

---


Title: Slammed (Slammed #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication date: January 4, 2012
Publisher: Self Published 
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Rating:
Amazon | Goodreads
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
Slammed was one of the first YA books I read after a break of about 3 years, and I'm so glad I did! It was one of those books that convinced me that the genre wasn't, after all, all that hopeless, but was actually great!

Layken and Will's love story is complicated. Difficult relationships in books can go either way - they can be over dramatic and unrealistic, or, they can be amazingly heart rending. It all depends on the way the author plays it. And Colleen Hoover, as we've now come to know, is a master at writing relationships that give you the feels! We get the complete deal here: the wonder of new found love, a gut wrenching emotional roller coaster ride, intelligent banter, and the wholehearted support of a partner.

The book also deals with issues that the characters have as individuals, so it's not all about the 'lurve'. Secondary characters are wonderful, and I loved Layken's relationship with her brother and mother and Will's with his own brother. The characters are more mature than in your average YA novel, since both Layken & Will have had to cope with difficult times that changed them.

But the main attraction in this book? Spoken Word poetry. Back when I first read this, I had no clue what Spoken Word was, so it was revelation. It's beautiful and raw and beautiful and omg just read this book already! For the poetry if not for anything else, because its beyond awesome!