Top Ten Tuesday In Which I Cheat (Kind of)

August 13, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they post a new topic/top ten list and invite everyone to share their own answers.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Top Ten Books with X Setting. But, no matter how hard I thought, I couldn't come up with a satisfying topic, and when I finally did, I couldn't come up with 10 books. And I know it's fine if it's not ten, but just as many as we can think of, but putting up just 5 books here seemed too pathetic.

So I'm twisting this thing slightly, and going for TWO lists. Each with 5 books! Enjoy! :)

Top Five Books with A School Setting
Top Five Books With A School Setting

Is it humanly possible to make a list like this and NOT include Harry Potter? Nope. And it needs no introduction, does it?

Aaaargh! This is one of my favourite series EVER, you guys! I love it! Despite being about vampires, it's so original, and intense and the relationships in this book are so AH-MAY-ZING that they literally jump out of the pages! 

This book is so raw and filled with emotions! It's one of those books that you makes you feel everything the characters are feeling, and when you turn the last page, you're so happy that they're at peace, but also sad to leave their story behind.

Ally Carter is like the queen of spy girl novels, and this is her very best! It's fun, spunky, hilarious, filled with mystery and intrigue and great friendships and an all girls BOARDING SCHOOL! How fun is that?! It reminded me a lot of the St. Claire's series by Enid Blyton (which I loved, by the way)!

I made my friend buy this book the other day (for once my skills at persuasion worked! She's loving the book, by the way) and it was as I was reading some passages and poems from the book that I realised how good Colleen Hoover's writing is! And people, the story? Feels, you guys, feels. I cannot emphasize how essential this book is for your development as a reader and as a person (okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. Maybe. But it's pretty damn good!)

Honorable Mention

Top Five Books Having Young Adults in A Historical Setting
I dont even know if that title makes any sense! Excuse me if it doens't. Ignore the title for a bit, and read what's written below, okay? Hopefully, it should make sense then.

I thought I'd do something a bit different. I know a lot of people avoid classics for many reasons - from boredom to intimidation. And I also know that YA seems to be the trend nowadays. So I thought, why not combine the two? Here are some classics that are truly wonderful and have young adult main characters, so it shouldn't feel too different. (Now I've thoroughly confused myself and dont know if this fits under today's topic. Great. If it doesn't fit, please be kind :))

Tell me if this works! :) 

Top Five Classics With Young Adult Characters
1. Kidnapped by R L Stevenson
This was the very first classic that I read, also the first book my mother got exclusively for me when I was 'grown up' (6 years was grown up to me when I was 6). It holds a special place in my heart not only for those things, but also because it's such a great book, filled with adventure and daring. And it is by R L Stevenson, so you can bank on it's being great!

2. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
These were also among my first classics. And I know I've combined two books in one, but that's actually how I read them - in one book. I recall it being titled 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn'. Anyway, what I'm saying is that its a great book, just like the others, and a lot like Kidnapped, actually. Both Tom and Huckleberry will make their way into your heart with their endearing affection and practical pranks.

3. Emily of New Moon series by L M Montgomery
Somehow, people only seem to know L M Montgomery for her Anne of Green Gables series. But in my opinion, her Emily series are much more superior. It's a trilogy, and follows Emily's life after the death of her father, when she comes to live with her aunts. With it's excellent prose, haunting verse, and unforgettable characters, the Emily series is one you must not miss!

4. Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
Daddy Long Legs is one unique book written as a string of letters from Jerusha to her benefactor, whom she calls Daddy Long Legs (because he's tall, and reminds her of spider). This book is amazing not only for its unique concept and storyline, but also because of Jerusha, who's so effervescent that she gets even the reader enthusiastic about the most mundane things. It's a very feel good story that's sure to make you smile at every turn of a page.

5. Jane of Lantern Hill by L M Montgomery
I was hesitant to add another book by the same author, but then I decided that it deserved to be there, so be there it shall. What I love about Jane of Lantern Hill is the pretty controversial and modern (for that time) storyline that the author employed. And it holds a lot of depth for a story that on the surface, looks like one about the very ordinary life of a young girl.

Honorable Mention
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

So, tell me... what's your topic this week? Have we picked the same by any chance? Have you read any of these books? What do you think of them? And what's your take on classics?

5 comments :

  1. Great lists :D. It took me forever to come up with a topic that I had more than five books for. And even with my final topic I had to cheat a little bit on some of the answers.
    old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Emily books! And Jane of Lantern Hill was good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lists! I've read 2 of those xD Guess I need to get reading!
    Jackie

    http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list! I haven't read any of those, but several are on my TBR shelf!

    My TTT:

    http://qaisracetusbookblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-81313.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good list, I love Gallagher Girls, Thirteen Reasons Why and Harry Potter as well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.