Feature & Follow Friday #9

July 5, 2013


Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee at Parajunkee & Alison at Alison Can Read.

Question of this Week:
Today’s is the US’ Independence Day. Share your favorite book with a war in it, or an overthrow of the government.

My Answer:
First off, to all the Americans out there, Happy Independence Day!

And now... for a book series with both war AND overthrowing of a government in it - The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini!

The Inheritance Cycle:
Book 1: Eragon
Book 2: Eldest
Book 3: Brisingr
Book 4: Inheritance

I'm so excited to be writing about The Inheritance Cycle books over here finally! I've been meaning to write about it for a long time, but umm this is me we're talking about, so naturally, it never happened.

I got introduced to them by a friend of mine, who actually recommended the movie version of the first book Eragon. Before I could watch the movie, one day while browsing at the bookstore, I found the book, and after seeing the thickness of it, I couldn't resist, and bought both Eragon and Eldest. I finished them both within a couple of days and man, was I blown over by their brilliance!

There are several things I love about these books, but here are a few:

- The author. I mean, really, he started writing it when he was 16! 16, people! Most of us are just goofing around, wasting time at that age! But you know what the coolest thing is? You don't see evidence of his age in the book. There is nothing that would point to immaturity or lack of experience or underdeveloped writing skills. In fact, I thought it was written by a very much older author until I got to the end and read the author bio.

- The writing. One of the best I've read. Ever. Every scene is so meticulously thought out and planned without losing out on a single aspect. Right from the weather to the character's clothing, everything is accounted for. You know I like my end tied well, tight, so this was great! And his writing style! I loved it! There were times that it could've gotten tedious, but his writing was what kept it from going over that edge.

- The story. I loved how he gradually brought in more points of view and narrations to the story, and how each character had a steady growth throughout the series, even the minor ones. And the research that he has done for the book is simply astounding when you imagine the amount of information he would have had to read, understand and then incorporate into the book. The sword making scene especially, drives this home. I love the fact that he was brave enough to write a slightly bittersweet ending. I for one was majorly angry at the end of the book, and didnt touch it again for a few days. It's a well known fact that people love happy endings and that's what sells the most. But Paolini did not shy away from breaking away from all that and writing the story in the manner he deemed suitable.

The Inheritance Cycle is one series that I would  recommend to anyone at all. It also happens to be the one series that I own all the books of. I would say it comes second only to Harry Potter in my list of favourite fantasy books, so you know it's really great.

Read it.

What about you?
Which book did you pick this week?
And have you read The Inheritance Cycle? What do you think about it?
Leave me a comment below with a link to your FF post and I'll make sure to stop by! :)


P.S.: You can follow me via GFC, Google+, Bloglovin', Networked Blogs, Linky or Facebook! Many thanks in advance! :D 

 I'm on Twitter as well now!
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments :

  1. I read the Inheritance Cycle since it was written close to me. I wasn't a huge fan as I felt he borrowed too much Tolken....
    I went with The Torturer's Daughter

    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOOOWW! I realised that after I read the LOTR series, and it's lost some of it's shine since then, but it's still one of my favourites :)

      Delete
  2. I've never actually read the Inheritance Cycle, but my nephew raves about it. It's my next series to pick up if I ever switch back to reading MG.

    I follow via bloglovin

    MY FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series! You should def read it :)

      Delete
  3. Great pick. thanks for sharing :)

    follower

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/07/feature-and-follow-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the Inheritance Cycle before but I do own Eragon! Maybe I'll have to read it soon. I'm a new Bloglovin and Twitter follower!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eragon is awesome! It's still my favourite book from the series :)

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you for your lovely message on my blog. I absolutely love your blog's design, and am now following you via Twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.