Review: Love is A Thief by Claire Garber

July 16, 2013

Title: Love is A Thief
Author: Claire Garber
Publication date: July 1, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin (UK) Limited
Genre: Chick lit
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
What did you miss out on because you fell in love?

I might just be ‘that’ girl. You know the one. The girl who, for no particular reason, doesn’t get the guy, doesn’t have children, doesn’t get the romantic happy ever after. So I needed to come up with a plan.

What did I like doing? What didn’t I get to do because I fell in love? What would I be happy spending the rest of my life doing if love never showed up again?

Kate Winters is going on a journey to do all the things that love has snatched from her and her friends, to reclaim her dreams and theirs in the hope of finding her future. But there’s a chance that new dreams are better than the old…
 There comes a time in all of our lives when we question everything that we've ever done. When we wonder... what happened to all those dreams I had? Did I give them up? But for what? For some thing, or worse, for someone? Did someone steal my dreams? When I've given up my dreams, what is it that I have for myself at the end of the day?

After being dumped by her French fiance whom she thought was 'the one', Kate Winters finds herself thinking these exact thoughts. Maybe love took these away from her? With even the mention of his name or a sympathetic 'Oh, I heard what happened' bringing on the waterworks, Kate is definitely not at the top of things.  And the irony of her tragic story is that she is now working at a magazine called True Love of all things! Yeah, life certainly isn't kind.

This gets her thinking of all the other women around the world who have also had to give up something for love. And so she launches a campaign 'Love Stolen Dreams' inviting all readers to join her in her journey of taking back her dreams by sending in their love stolen dreams, suggesting what she should do next, and maybe going on their own Love Quests.

Love is A Thief by Claire Garber quote

I'll tell you one thing. It is humanly impossible to read this book and not burst into laughter (no matter where you are) atleast once. The author's writing style is very candid and conversational. You may think that's part of the package, since the story is written in first person, but there are several books that dont give you that 'in' into the character's ( (though sometimes, the characters just keep going on and on, and just dont stop) head like Love is A Thief does. For a debut author, she's done a marvelous job of it!

What I loved about this book was how unique it is in it's approach to love. Yes, it starts out with Love as the enemy, stealing dreams left and right, and something you've got to fight against. As the book went on, I wondered, though, that maybe it was taking this 'Love stole my dreams' idea a bit too far. It could have been the person themselves who maybe grew out of the dream, or maybe the dream was not a correct fit for them, or maybe the fault lies in themselves for not pursuing their dreams. Why blame Love or their partners? These questions were put to rest later, as the author addresses these issues as the story progresses.

Every chapter begins with a short story. Either a love story dream or two, or a story from Kate's past. The love stolen dreams make for interesting and insightful reading, though there are some pointless and hilarious ones thrown in as well.

Love is A Thief Claire Garber quote

In her stories, Kate divulges a bit about her childhood best friend Peter Parker, who has now returned to London with a Ph.D., after 15 years of radio silence.

Peter Parker is an intriguing character. He kind of, kind of reminded me of Darcy. There's that same restraint in him, of words and emotion, and he seems to hold himself the same way too, a little aloof from his fellow mortals. Because of which, when he unwinds enough to express his feelings, it makes for a very intense scene. Though there is plenty of attraction between the two right from the start, the focus is more on the LSD, with this playing only a side role.

I loved how the author made Kate question her ideas of love, and herself, and come up with answers that were probably the ideas she thought she had, but ended up with her coming the really know herself. I love how she came to this idea of love especially, because it was as if she took it right out of my head:


I was sad to see this book end, but I was happy about the ending, which wasn't exactly a happliy-ever-after in the conventional sense, but a happily-ever-after nevertheless.

Bottomline: Love is A Thief can double as chick lit and self help, with it's hilarious and head on approach to live and love. Claire Garber has succeeded in writing a book that will provide comfort, laughter and lessons to women everywhere.

*A copy of the book was provided in exchange for an honest review.

1 comment :

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.