ArmchairBEA Day 4: Let's Talk Non Fiction!

May 31, 2013


And so we move to the other end of the spectrum... Non Fiction.

I'll be upfront with you. I haven't read a lot of non fiction.

Why?

Well, at first, I just wasn't interested. I mean, really, do you expect a 9 year old kid to be interested in Non Fiction?
At that age, it was boring and dull, and 'there was no story'! But a few years later, I started reading the Chicken Soup books and loved them. Except for Chicken Soup and a few Stephen Covey books, I didn't know anything about non fiction for a long time.

I always pictured them as books that had 'no story', or were full of facts and big words, and were full of printed lectures (self help). I think this was mostly because of the kind of non fiction that I was exposed to at the time. The ones we owned and the ones I heard the adults talking about were all such books, so naturally, I didn't think so highly of them. Its not untrue, I can tell you that. There are several non fiction works out there that can put you to sleep.

However, sometime last year, around the same time I got back into books (that's a story for another day & post :), I also got reintroduced to Non Fiction in a whole new different way.

One day, when I walked into her class, I saw my friend (yeah, you guessed it - Pooja), holding Superfreakonomics in her hand. And naturally, as when two book addicts get together, we got to talking about the book, and I heard all about it, and ended up borrowing the book. I actually borrowed the book because I had nothing else to read then, and wasnt looking forward to it at all, but... Oh. My. God. That book simply blew me over and I'm still reeling, if you ask me!

And so I got introduced to a whole new side of Non Fiction books - a genre that I like to call 'Quirky Non Fiction'.

Quirky Non Fiction: /kwərki nɑn fɪkʃən/ noun
a. A literary work whose content is filled with humour and human behaviour
b. The category of literature comprising works of this kind often include Psychology and Economics
These books are just so wholesome! They're often an amalgamation of several different fields of study, and hence prove to be a powerhouse of knowledge and at the same time, FUN!

Ever since I first found out about such books, I've found several more, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm going to go about remedying that, so I hope that changes!


So here's my list of Top Non Fiction works from what I've read.

1. Superfreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
2. The Upside of Irrationality by Dan Ariely
3. The Six Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make by Sean Covey
4. The Chicken Soup for The Soul series
5. F?@k Knows by Shailendra Singh

So what're your favourite work in the world of non fiction?

9 comments :

  1. The same thing happened with me and one specific non-fiction book...it definitely helped me read more from the non-fiction side. If you like psychology non-fiction you should definitely read The Psychopath Test! It was one of the books I chose for my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that sounds interesting! Thanks for the rec! I'll definitely check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I completely forgot about Superfreakonomics. That one was great! You might like some of Malcolm Gladwell's books, too. I mentioned a couple in my post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I;m checking it out and it sound so cool! :D

      Delete
  3. PS - I absolutely LOVE your blog banner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love superfreakonomics. I love the quirky nonfiction genre as you call it. I think you would love to read Quirkology by Richard Wiseman. I'm almost positive you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec, Kathleen! I just checked it out. Sounds cool :)

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing the great info Non Fiction

    www.clikat.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.