Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Liked More/Less Than I Thought I Would

April 24, 2013

 
 Oooh I love this topic! I've been wanting to blog about this for sometime now, but what with one thing and another, it just never happened (like always, I know).

So I'll get right to it. 

5 Books I Liked Less Than I Thought I Would

 Wide Awake
Oh this book DEFINITELY takes the top spot! I started it with really high expectations after all the raves, and the first third of the book was great, and then... downhill. I know that a lot of people liked this book (please don't hate me!), but personally, it did nothing for me. I'd give it two stars and one of those stars is for the useless, random facts in the beginning of each chapter, which I loved! And really, what's it with tattoo artists these days?!

Gone with the Wind
Really, don't get me started on this book. I read it just this year, since I felt it was a serious gap in my literary education, and I regretted it. I finished it out of sheer determination to do so, because honestly, the book lost me after a few chapters. I know that a LOT of people love Scarlett, because of how real and flawed she is, but honestly, I felt like she more than her share of flaws, many of which made me want to smack her around the head. Sorry folks, this one just wasn't for me!

Dualed (Dualed, #1)
The concept is very interesting, which is why I read it in the first place, and the book is faced paced, but in spite of all that it still lakes that little something. Some world building and more background info about the characters, maybe?

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
I am a huge fan of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, and when I found our about the spin-off series that she was writing, I was so excited! And the first two books were great! Ever since I'd finished Golden Like I was waiting like crazy for this book, especially after the cliffhanger she left us at. But man, this one sucked. I don't know why, but the characters didn't seem like themselves at all (does that make any sense?). And the ending? *facepalm* But in spite of all that, I'm still waiting with baited breath for the next one :)

52 Reasons to Hate My Father
Um... I don't think I'm gonna say anything. I'm already feeling bad for trashing so many books. And I've already given vent to my thoughts about this book. You can find my extensive rant here.

5 Books I Liked More Than I Thought I Would

Aahh... now we get to the good part! Yay! :D

The Night Circus 
Don't get me wrong. I knew I would like this book. Yeah, I knew that. What I didn't, was that it would simply blow my mind! It's so so incredible amazing! There's intricacy, magic, detail, eccentricity aplenty. When I read this one, it had been a really long time since I'd read a nice, wholesome book like the classics. And then The Night Circus came along. The End.

Vain (The Seven Deadly Series #1) 
I really didn't expect much of this book. At most, I thought it would be just another book about a spoilt brat that reformed. But oh no, it most certainly is not 'just another book'. It's a wonderful book, and we can really see the transformation that Sophie goes through. And it's not so drastic that you don't recognize the person at the end of it all. Though I did feel the ending was a little too good to be true. If you're not convinced yet, read this, it's what convinced me :)

An Abundance of Katherines 
My first John Green book, people! This book was highly recommended by Pooja, so, duh, I read it. But I wasn't really into it because my sister hadn't liked Looking for Alaska, and this was by the same author, and a sequel of sorts. But the perfect mix of humor, intelligence and quirkiness gained John Green yet another fan, and I'm reading Fault in Our Stars now (I WILL finish it. I will.), and it's just as great, if not more.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) 
Generally, I steer clear of paranormal/ fantasy books about 'angels'. I so read books about stuff out of this realm, but angels are something I don't think should be fiddled with, as it's a part of religion, and that's a no-no with me. At first, I didn't even know it was about 'angels' and 'demons', since it wasn't mentioned in the blurb, and the book had turned up as a related book for The Night Circus. But when I did start reading it, I was hooked. And there are some really insightful lines in that book, worthy of quoting. And needless to say, I liked it better than I thought I would like a book on this topic. 

Wonder
Aww.... there you are, my little Augie! No, I didn't think I would like this book. Not much at least. I looked at it as one of those books that would 'broaden my horizons', and that's it. But it turned out to be one of the best books I've ever read! Again, thanks to Pooja! (don't you just love people who give you awesome books that you otherwise wouldn't have found?) I loved everything about the book, right from the dog to the different POVs. This book can make you bawl like a baby, but mostly in joy. This is a one-of-a-kind book that HAS to be read, regardless of you age.

P.S.: I'm really sorry if I've offended anyone's feelings with my views :)

6 comments :

  1. Super intimidated by Gone With the Wind. Rightfully so, I guess? Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, you're right! And thanks, Amanda! :)

      Delete
  2. Nooo, not 52 reasons! :) I've been waiting to read this one forever. I will anyway, I guess and maybe the fact that I know think I won't like it will make me love it? Yes? Right? I like your list of good books, though. Especially that you added An Abundance of Katherines. I always hear that's John Green's weakest work of art, but now I'm encouraged to read even that one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 52 Reasons isn't really bad. I just expected something more from it, that's all :)
      Really? They say that about An Abundance of Katherines? I didn't know that. But I cant rally compare cos I haven't read his other books.
      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. NEVER apologize for how you feel about books! We all have different opinions and that's TOTALLY FINE. For example, I really didn't think WONDER was all that incredible. It was good, just not mind-blowing for me. And I happen to love GWTW. Different strokes for different folks, right?

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Susan! And yep, that's right :D

      Delete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.