Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

April 28, 2013

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) Title: Dare You To
Author: Katie McGarry
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 28 May, 2013
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: NetGalley
Amazon | Goodreads
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....
     Before Dare You To, I read Pushing The Limits by the same author and I loved it. Ever since then, I've been waiting for Dare You To to get released, and Harlequin Teen, you have my heartfelt thanks for giving me an advance copy!

    Three words that describe Dare You To: witty, emotional, and relatable.

    Witty, because both the author, and in turn the characters are so. The things they say had me laughing, smirking and sad in turns. The language is crisp without any over embellishment or slang like in some books that portray 'teen life'. Plus, the book is a pretty safe read for young people, without any unsuitable scenes.

    Let me ask you this: What book with a tough-as-nails heroine who's actually a softy who loves ribbons is not going to be emotional? Dare You To brings out a whole new side to the rude girl Beth that we saw in Pushing The Limits. I had several heart-squeezing moments (I don't know how else to describe them) while reading, and I love such books. I especially loved two scenes. One in which Beth is compared to a trapped bird that is trying to escape, and the other in which she finally learns to trust Ryan completely. The difficulties that Ryan faces with his broken family, and his conflicting interests are also beautifully handled.

    Relatable because, well... Its a love story on the surface, but underneath that, its so much more. Its about accepting people for who they are, its about fighting for your dreams and its about letting go and doing the right thing even if you don't want to. We all face issues like these all the time, so I could totally relate (I mean to the underlying concept, not to the issues per se).

    The author has succeeded marvelously in conveying two points of view. I've found that in many books there's hardly a difference. Both Ryan and Beth have distinct voices. Ryan is thoughtful, mature and uses beautiful descriptions, as befits a writer, while Beth's insecurity, facade and fragility come through crystal clear. I loved how Ryan has this daring bring-it-on attitude to everything, and at the same time, he's a gentleman. McGarry says that since Ryan has no history with Beth, he could see her all the more clearly. I completely agree. I have to say, I couldn't really see Beth and Isaiah working out even in Pushing The Limits, but I love Ryan.

    The plot is not new. It has the same poor-beaten-down-angry-girl-and-jock story that you've read before with a slightly High School Musical like twist to it. But for a story that is so complicated, the author keeps it all straight. And when a story is well written, it doesn't really matter.

    The only flaw (if you can call it that) I found was that after all the hype surrounding Beth's fear, it wasn't as big a deal as I expected. And I wish there was more of Noah and his better side, though I do understand that this is Beth's and Ryan's story.

Bottomline: Dare You To is a wonderful read. Definitely recommended for people who loved Pushing The Limits (and for those who didn't like Beth, because this shows her in a whole new light).

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for stopping by my FF,
    GFC, G+, and BLoglovin follower
    Danielle @ Coffee and Characters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book! Love your review you should check mine out DARE YOU TO REVIEW

    So, Have you every heard of Liebster Blog Award? Well I nominated you and am notifying you that if you would like to accept it then mosey on over to my blog {Here} and follow the rules I have listed and answer the awesome questions I have listed underneath titled “questions for nominee's” I hope you choose to accept this award and have fun answering the questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I've heard of the Liebster Award! Thank you so much! Duh, I'm accepting it! Heading over to your blog just now! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm reading this next! *squeal* Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.