Once Upon A Time...

March 18, 2013

When I was a kid, all I wanted was to have long, silky hair.Isn't that almost every young girl's dream? I never did love my hair, since it was always short, for convenience’s sake. Being the last-minute person that I am (like Maria, I’m always late for everything, except for every meal :D), having short hair was definitely a plus. Shake my head. Few strokes. Done. I always had a love-hate relationship with my hair. Here are a few excerpts from through the years... Once upon a tine, when i was 4...
I loved my hair. There's this photo that we shot at the studio which is the main reason why I loved my hair so much. Look at the photo. You'll know what I mean (not to sound obnoxious).
Once upon a time, when I was 7...
I always hated my short crop right after a haircut. It would grow on me later, but coming home from the salon, the loss would be fresh, and nothing would look right. I remember, this once, when I was in 2ndgrade, I’d just had my hair cut, and I dreaded going to school the next day. So I resorted to covering my head with a scarf. Wrong reasons, and I was way too young for it, but I went ahead and did it. I never told my mum the truth though. Few days later, when I was auditioning for a part in a drama, my teacher & supervisor wanted to see my hair and I ended up blurting out the truth to them.Sweet souls that they are (they were two of my best teachers) they convinced me that I didn't look hideous, and off came the scarf. You should've seen my classmates' faces when I returned to class! lol
Once upon a time, when I was 9... "No! I dont want to cut my hair! I wont. I want to grow it. Like my sister's. I want to braid it." "Now, FM... Ok, I'll tell you what? You know how beautiful and long you sister's hair is?" "Yes..." "It grew like that because I always cut her hair short when she was younger." "But I want long hair NOW." "Well, if you cut you hair now, in a few years, it'll grow really long." Yeah, that's how my Mum convinced me to get a haircut. *sob* I was so gullible.
Once upon a time, when I was 10... At school, shuffling to the assembly in a line... Prefect: Where are your hair ribbons?
Me: In my pocket. I'll where them.
Prefect: Come out of the line. Wear it now. I obey (obviously) Prefect: Why isn't your hair in braids? Your hair is long enough for it.
Me: My hair? No way. Look, its so short. You see, if I try to braid it, the hair never stays in the braid, and it looks messy. Prefect: Ok, move on.
(I lied. Shamlessly.)
Once upon a time, when I was 10, or 11, or 12... I got into my head that I had to try out home remedies for my hair. I pestered my Mum, and made her apply egg white, lemon and youghurt, etc. I balked at applying egg yolk.
Sadly, it did not work. But oh yes, vinegar worked. But I didnt like the scent.
Once upon a time, when I was 14... My hair had grown to about 3 inches below my shoulders, and I wanted a step cut. I went to the salon, and when I stepped out, my hair was only till my ears. I swore I wasn't going to cut my hair again till it was really, really long.
Once upon a time, when I was 15... My hair grew long enough to braid it, and pull it to one side. It was a very proud moment, let me tell you. My dream had come true. I even took a picture of it, to show off on Facebook, but gave up on the idea, because it seemed very childish.

Once upon a time, when I was 16... I was watching a video where a girl was explaining how to cut bangs. Mum: You're going to cut bangs? Me: What if I want to? You'll be fine with it? Mum: Yeah, sure. Later that evening... Me: (staring at myself in the mirror, with a newspaper spread out on the washbasin, and all necessary implements) Ma, are you sure you're ok with me cutting bangs by myself? Mum: (from the room) Go ahead. But dont dirty the place. After I cut my almost perfect bangs, I went to show her. Mum: You really did it? I thought you were joking. What if it never grows back now? It did grow back. Ive trimmed them twice now :D
Present time... I have great hair, Alhamdulillah. Long, thick, and silky, with a slight wave to it, when it is tamed. If I leave it for a day, it turns into a veritable bush. And I swear this is not just lip service for the sake of the competition, but I use Dove shampoo, and I love the scent it has! And it leaves my hair really soft after, so I love using it. I love trying out different kinds of braids on it: french braids, the normal one, an upside down braid, etc. Not that I get them all right, but still. Main point: I get to braid my hair all the time now, and I love how it looks, thick as a rope at the top, and then tapering down to the end, where I tie it off with a little band.

This post is an entry for the ‘Beautiful Ends To Your Beautiful Braids‘ contest, powered by Indiblogger, in collaboration with Dove Split Ends Rescue System.
Vote for my post here.

P.S.: I dont know why the formatting on this post is so crappy. Im unable to get it right, so please tolerate it this once. I know it can be irritating.